The Pentagon said the August attack in Kabul was a mistake.
US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin on Friday apologized for a drone attack in the Afghan capital of Kabul during the withdrawal of US forces from the country last month, during which 10 civilians, including seven children, were mistakenly killed. Information provided by AFP.
“I express my deepest condolences to the families of those killed,” Austin said in a statement. “We apologize and try to learn from this grave mistake,” he added.
US General Kenneth McKenzie also described the attack to reporters on Friday as a mistake. According to him, it is unlikely that the car or the dead belonged to ISIS terrorists or directly threatened the American soldiers who were still at the Kabul airport at that time.
The Pentagon withdrew from its original defense on the August 29 offensive. According to her, the Americans wanted to crash into a car with people who were about to attack the airport, as the evacuation of foreigners and local allies of foreign missions reached its climax.
Just a few days ago, at least 170 local residents as well as 13 members of the US armed forces were killed in a large-scale attack at the airport, which was joined by the Islamic State.
“Gamer. Wannabe beer evangelist. Pop culture practitioner. Travel lover. Social media advocate.”