A Kremlin spokesman said he had heard about it for the first time.
Kiev. Russian mercenaries have deployed in recent weeks in the separatist-held Donbass region of eastern Ukraine.
Reuters reported on Thursday, citing four unnamed sources who requested anonymity for security reasons.
The four men confirmed to the agency that they had received “offers from mercenary recruits” to go to Donbass. The recruits allegedly did not tell them “who they represent”.
Two men said they accepted the offer. A third party said it declined the offer.
And the man who accepted the offer to go to Donbass agreed to the agency, “They collect everyone who has combat experience.” According to the man, he had previously fought in Ukraine and Syria alongside Russian mercenaries, whose operations were “inextricably linked with the strategic interests of Russia.”
However, he refused to specify which private army he worked for. However, he said that he intended to unite with other mercenaries and separatists who had taken control of the Luhansk region in eastern Ukraine.
“The Kremlin claims it has nothing to do with Russian private military contractors, whose clients describe them as volunteers without any connection to the state,” Reuters reported.
The agency asked Moscow for its opinion. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said he “heard this for the first time” and did not know “to what extent these allegations can be relied upon”.
Peskov added that there were “never” any Russian forces or military advisers in eastern Ukraine and that Moscow was not considering sending them. However, Kiev is skeptical of this and claims that Russian military forces are in Donbass, according to Reuters.
“Gamer. Wannabe beer evangelist. Pop culture practitioner. Travel lover. Social media advocate.”