The Medicines Sans Frontiers (MSF) announced on Wednesday (July 7) that it would suspend operations in parts of the war-torn Ethiopian region of Tigray. The NGO then called for an investigation “Brutal murder” On June 24 among its three employees. “MSF announces suspension of operations at Abi Adi, Adigrad and Aksam in central and eastern Tigray. MSF teams in other regions of Tigray will continue to provide assistance with caution to those in urgent need.”, Said the voluntary charity In a press release.
At least a dozen aid workers have been killed in Tigray since the fighting began in November. The Ethiopian army confronted disgruntled regional authorities there, resulting in the People’s Front for the Liberation of Tigris (FPLT).
The MSF announced on June 25 that three of its employees, a Spaniard and two Ethiopians, had died. “Almost two weeks after our comrades were killed, no one was responsible and the circumstances of their deaths are not clear.”, Says Theresa Sancristoval, MSF’s Acting Director, in this press release. “This is why we request an immediate inquiry from the parties concerned to establish the facts (…) and provide us with a comprehensive account of what happened and who was responsible for it.”, She called“Very painful” Decision to suspend operations.
According to the UN, there are more than 400,000 people “Beyond the Threshold of Famine” In this part of northern Ethiopia. 1.8 million extra people “Are on the brink of famine”. After months of tension since Ethiopian Prime Minister Abi Ahmed was sent there in early November, the military has fought Tigre to overthrow the local government. The Nobel Peace Prize 2019 These leaders were accused of carrying out attacks on military bases, the latter denied.
After the counter-attack, which began on June 18, pro-FPLD (Tigre security forces, FDT) forces regained control of the regional capital, McClellan. The Ethiopian federal government has declared a unilateral ceasefire. The FDT has since recaptured much of the region.
The international community was outraged at the demolition of two bridges leading to Tigray last week, which reduced the provision of humanitarian aid in the region. Ethiopian authorities have denied any responsibility and have denied allegations that the Tigris want to starve the people.
“One seat” of the Ethiopian government
The European Commissioner for Crisis Management, Janes Lenarsic, rebuked him on Tuesday “A seat” Led by the Ethiopian government. “Flights to Tigre have been banned. Internet and telecommunications have been reduced. Telecommunication equipment for humanitarian operators confiscated ”, He announced before the European Parliament in Strasbourg.
“This is not a ceasefire, it is a siege, and famine is being used as a weapon of war.”, Charged the Slovenian officer. The Ethiopian government said on Wednesday that it had approved humanitarian aircraft in the area, but the UN did not. Someone on the ground said nothing had departed.